My Blog List

Monday, January 12, 2015

My Take on Valentine's Day

Happy Monday! It's a rainy day in the city and my subway commute was horrible. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler rocked the Golden Globes, as usual.

Today, I'm taking a break from Super Sunday madness and weddings to talk about Valentine's Day, which is just a month away. To be honest, Valentine's Day was never my favorite holiday. It conjures up memories of not receiving cards in elementary school and no flowers for my high school's annual carnation sale. I remember my dad buying the last-minute candy and flowers for my mom at Penn Station. It wasn't until I started seeing my husband that I really celebrated it for the first time. He sent a dozen red roses to my office and we went out for a nice dinner. I've made cards for both him and my son. However, we really still don't make a big deal about the holiday. I do know that it's one of the most popular days for couples to get engaged, and the sales of candy and flowers go through the roof.

Because I am in the party games business, I do have to cover all holidays. In searching for Valentine's Day ideas, I did find many cute ways to celebrate the holiday with crafts, food, and more. I've started posting them on a Pinterest board. There are also many different online lists for party ideas, dinners out, gifts, etc. Please see below:
  • For the classroom party. Most boys don't like receiving sappy Valentines. I found these and other cute ideas for boys from the website Family in Las Vegas. I will be offering some free printable games for kids as Valentine's day gets closer.
  • Ideas for teens, which can include a movie, sporting event, concert, or a picnic.
  • For those in my hometown of NYC, Time Out New York has excellent suggestions for romantic dinners, flowers, chocolate.
  • Ideas for couples, of course.
  • Gift ideas from Gits.com.
  • Sensual ideas for men.
Here is another bridal shower/wedding/Valentine's Day games that I am offering from the shop. Called "They Go Together," like the song from Grease, this game, party guests will match popular food pairings.



Party Idea of the Day. These adorable Valentine's Day mailboxes come from Successful Homemakers.com. They are the holiday's version of the stocking stuffer. 


Super Bowl Fun Fact of the Day: Q. Who was the first wildcard team ever to win the Super Bowl? A. Super Bowl XV: Oakland vs. Philadelphia

Today's Birthdays:  Zayn Malik (22), Georgia May Jagger (23),  Jana and John David Duggar (25), Issa Rae (28), Deena Cortese (28), Jeremy Camp (37), Melanie Chisholm (41), Zack de la Rocha (45), Rob Zombie (50), Jeff Bezos (51),  Dominique Wilkins (55), Oliver Platt (55), Howard Stern (61), Kirstie Alley (64), Rush Limbaugh (64), Anthony Andrews (67), Glenn Yarborough (85).

Holidaze: Take the oppurtunity to organize your space and life on National Clear Off Your Desk Day! Honor your local drugstore on National Pharmicists Day. There are very few of the mom-and-pop type of drugstores still left. They have been forced to close because there is a national chain on every other block. For foodies, it's National Curried Chicken Day and National Marzipan Day. Neither food is a personal favorite of mine, bu there are a lot of people who like both.

Mazel Tov to Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden (of Good Charlotte), who tied the knot in a traditional Jewish ceremony. Neither the bride nor groom are Jewish, but I've read that many celebrities are following this trend--the chuppah, the breaking of the glass, the whole bit. Kudos to them!

Have a PRINTASTIC Day!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment